We are a mercury-free practice. However, many people still have silver/mercury fillings in their mouths from years past. Amalgam fillings, sometimes referred to as “silver” fillings , used to be the most commonly placed filling material. Since the major component of Amalgam is mercury, not silver, they should be called Mercury fillings. Many years ago Dr. Boone chose to stop placing Amalgam fillings.
Disadvantages of Silver fillings:
- Silver fillings have many drawbacks. They actually weaken the teeth over time by expanding and they tend to help cause recurrent decay, fracturing the teeth from the inside, similar to splitting wood with a wedge.
- The material typically contains about 50 percent mercury. Even though the American Dental Association has deemed it safe, it is still considered a highly toxic and hazardous material outside the mouth. Its use is banned in several European countries.
- Amalgam fillings are very unaesthetic and because of corrosion typically turn dark over time.
Fortunately, silver fillings can safely be replaced with Tooth-Colored Restorations.
Tooth colored fillings had their start merely 60 years ago and have evolved into an aesthetic and durable filling material. The material is specially adhered to your tooth by using different bonding agents, which create an affinity to the tooth. The material is called a composite resin and is used as a filling material as well as a replacement for lost tooth structure, commonly called dental bonding.
Benefits of Tooth-Colored Restorations
In reality, the process of receiving a tooth colored filling is not much different than a metal filling. However, there are a variety of physical, health, and even psychological benefits that are associated with a tooth colored filing rather than a silver colored one.
- The biggest benefit of tooth colored fillings is in appearance. There is no metal being placed in the mouth, therefore nothing suggests that at a glance there ever was a cavity in the first place.
- The benefit of appearance translates to many psychological aids affiliated with these white fillings. People can be self conscious about their fillings which then impacts their behavior.
- Health: There may also be a health benefit to tooth colored fillings. There is zero mercury in these fillings. There is a slow release of mercury from amalgam fillings and it has been hypothesized that some forms of mercury has been linked to certain types of cancer, multiple sclerosis and various other health issues. Although it has not been proven, that the mercury based fillings are linked to any of these conditions, many people do not want to take the chance.
- Tooth colored fillings have a conservative nature to the way that they are placed in the teeth. After the decay is removed the excessive shaping requirements that are required with mercury fillings are not present with tooth colored ones, This preserves more healthy tooth structure.
So don’t hide that smile of yours, restore it attractively. For more information on the process, ease, and benefits of tooth colored fillings or tooth bonding contact our office today. We will be happy to speak with you and get your smile back on the path of lightening up the room.